Grace Youth
 
 
 
Grace United Methodist Church is a safe sanctuary church.
Safe Sanctuary Policy
About Grace

The first Methodist meeting in the Spencer area was on November 3, 1867. Circuit pastors served it.

On September 1871 Rev. Charles Winter, the first resident pastor, was installed. Services were held in the schoolhouse, the only frame building in the village, which was located on West Fourth Street..

In 1873 a 30 x 45 ft. frame house of worship was built on the corner of East 2nd and Mill St.. Pledges were made to cover the indebtedness, but due to a plague of grasshoppers the pledges could not be paid in full. Because of this, the building was sold at a Sheriff's sale. However, the next year the trustees made a loan and paid the bills so the building could again be used for services.

On February of 1877 this building burned to the ground. Other Iowa churches came to their aid to help rebuild. Until it could be rebuilt, the church rented a vacant store building on the west side of Main Street between Third and Fourth. The organ had been saved and was used in this building.

In 1879 another church 30 x 50-ft. was built on the site of the present church. In 1881 a 16 x 24-ft. parsonage was built. This church building was sold for $800 when more room was needed.

The next structure was of brick and was completed in 1907 at the same location. It was 61 x 93-ft. and had a Sanctuary and balcony with a seating capacity of 800. It was named "Grace Methodist Episcopal Church. The Gethsemane window cost $1000. A new organ was donated. A short time later a tunnel connected the Lincoln Boys Club, located directly south of the church.

When the membership of the church reached 1700 a new building was necessary for the Christian Education work. In 1958 construction was begun for a new building west of the church. It has 29,000 square feet and three floors housing classrooms, Fellowship Hall and stage, the Chapel, Fireside Room, Wesley Room, nursery, kitchen, numerous storerooms and restrooms. The lower floor has a large youth room with a kitchenette as well as many classrooms and restrooms.

The present church building was begun in May 1967 and completed in 1968. It has an 8600 sq. foot Sanctuary which seats 640 people with an additional 65 seats in the choir loft. The 2580 sq. foot Narthex adjoins the Sanctuary, has additional seating room for 300 and includes the library, offices and the Gethsemane lighted memorial window. The 112 foot bell tower rings bell music at noon. An elevator was installed when the second floor BenTena Room was added in 1992 which makes the second floor and basement handicapped accessible. The BenTena Room has its own kitchen and seats 125.

A portion of the basement was remodeled in 2001 for the installation of handicapped accessible showers and restrooms.

An unfinished portion of the basement provides room for future expansion.

 
 
Grace United Methodist Church - Spencer, Iowa
Site design by Emagine

All are welcome.
You don't need to be a member to come and worship with us.


Grace United Methodist Church
311 2nd Ave W, Spencer, IA 51301
Phone: 712-262-5970